How do you measure retention of users in a game like Farmville? Justify.
- Farmville requires various engagement activities from users like adding/visiting neighbors, decorating, collecting etc. But out of all most important is harvesting (Game revolves around). Harvesting a crop is more important then Planting, therefore how many users are Harvesting becomes important parameter.
- We also can’t ignore the crops which were Planted by the user as a parameter.
The ratio of Harvesting and Planting defines completion of user’s farming activity i.e. if all the planted crops are harvested results in 100% farming.
Considering the scenario of Farmville:
- User is active when he performs complete farming actively i.e. planting and harvesting regularly.
- Daily active users would be users harvesting.
- Average Month Active users would be users Planting.
- The ratio of above will define retention of Farmville users i.e. if 100 users performed harvesting today and 100 average monthly users performed planting then retention of users would be 100%.